Civil War Reading Camp
August 7 - August 11, 2017
- Interaction with re-enactors and veterans. Tentative re-enactors/vets scheduled:
- Abraham Lincoln, Mary Todd Lincoln, Union Soldier, Confederate Soldier
- Hands-on experience with Civil War artifacts and reproductions.
- Tour of the museum’s extensive Civil War exhibits.
- Daily sampling of Civil War era foods.
- Listening to and singing songs from the era.
- Reading interesting stories related to: Abe Lincoln, the Underground Railroad, slavery, Civil War soldiers and battles, civilian life 1850-1870, the roles of young people, the roles of women and the roles of African Americans. Primary Sources include letters, diaries and maps.
- Listening to stories, articles and poetry written around the Civil War era.
- Writing letters as a Civil War soldier and/or recording experiences in a journal.
More information and 2017 application coming soon!